Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Blink: 6

They sat for a long time, most of it they spend silently. As the sun started to go down they broke from their self induced trance and Rick drove Claire home.
Claire lived in a small ranch house with her dad. Her Mom had skipped out on them a little over two years ago. She had never said why, she just packed a bag one afternoon while Claire and her father had been at a soccer game and left. Claire received a birthday card from her when she turned sixteen but that had been it.
Rick was pretty sure she had taken the whole thing really well. Her father stepped up to the challenge, as he always did, and their home life didn't suffer like it could have. Just one less person in the house, which they replaced with a goldfish of the same name.
They pulled up into the driveway and he father was sitting on the porch reading the newspaper and drinking out of a mug. He was still wearing his repairman shirt. He was part owner of a local plumbing company and sold houses on the side. It did keep him busy but it also kept Claire in one of the best schools in the country. Even with the scholarship the cost was like sending her away to college.
He got up as the car doors opened.
“Rick, I got a call that my daughter left school to take you to the hospital. What are you doing driving? I don't want to hear that it was some scheme of yours to get my daughter out of class. You're no Ferris Bueller.”
“Afternoon Bob. I fain-... ah, I passed out. They thought I hit my head. Once we were outside I got some fresh air and felt better. Nothing shady going on today.”
“Right, right, well, I just finished cooking up dinner. You want to join us?”
Rick gave Claire a look. One of many looks, this one was 'can you put up with me for another hour, two tops?'. She came around the car and took him into the house by the hand. Of course she could.

No comments: