Friday, December 12, 2008

Blink: 5

“You are nuts! We should have gone to the hospital. You probably bleeding into your brain right now or something.” Claire was sitting next to Rick on the merry-go-round.
“No, I don't think so.”
“You don't think so, to which part?”
“hmm, all of it.” Rich sat up from the position he was lying in and began to slowly turn the merry go round in a counter clockwise direction. They sat quiet for a long time. Claire took out her phone and began exchanging texts with people Rick couldn't see from where they were. He wondered if she was writing about him and then if not having a reason to distrust someone was a reason to trust them. He spun counterclockwise in the circular logic for a while.

“So...” Claire's 'so' was the kind that was a question and an answer all at the same time. She could decide to say nothing more, or she could put Plato to shame. Rick raised an eyebrow to her to establish he heard her. “Prove it to me.”
“That I can travel through time?”
“Yeah, mmmm tell me tomorrows lotto numbers.”
“I can only go back... and I haven't done it on purpose yet.”
“Oh thats makes it easy to prove... how about you wait until tomorrow to travel back to now so you can tell me tomorrows lotto numbers.”
“Thats some pretty solid logic.”
Claire nodded, “Thanks, now what are my numbers?”
“Your numbers?”
“Well, yeah, you are going for me, so they are kinda my numbers. Give'em up.”
“I don't have them yet. I will have them tomorrow.”
“But, when you come back, it will be now. Soooo” This was the profound so that is suppose to sum it all up. “give em up.”
“Right, ok... but theoretically, the you I am going to give them to... wont be you right? I mean when I go back, the you now will keep going. So I will be giving the numbers to an earlier you. A you, you will never know. So, it wont be you, it will be a rich you that you can never be. So they aren't your numbers”
“Shit... that makes sense.” She bit her lip. “UNLESS the me you are talking to right now is the ME that you give tomorrows numbers to.”
“Not possible.”
“What? How is THAT not possible.”
“This is the first time I've done today.”
“If you didn't make so much sense we would be going to the hospital right now. I hope you know that.”
“Claire, can we just hang out in the now?”
“Sure...”

No comments: